Cami called excitedly across the street waving me over. There was something she wanted to show me. “Are praying mantises insects?” she asked. One had landed on the tail of her flying pig. You met the pig on Happy First Day of Summer, and met Cami a few days ago when she yelled, or almost yelled, “Did you see the naked ladies?” (Everything in Its Season) But today it was a giant insect. “When it landed it was greenish.”

Yesterday it was With Bugs. Today it’s a bug that makes large flowers look small. I looked them up on Wikipedia a few minutes ago and am now trying very hard to forget everything I learned. It’s easier to say, “How cute,” than to know the truth. Insects ways and human ways are decidedly different. Flowers are completely different. It’s almost bedtime, so I think I’ll just end with that.

But I suppose it is exciting to find something that looks like a piece of wood on your pig’s curled tail and realize it’s alive. I found it just as exciting. Though if it hasn’t moved by tomorrow I may have to revise that.