A category of flowers I’ve considered is flowers with insects. Normally we associate bees with flowers. But it’s hard to get bees to sit still for a picture of them feeding and fertilizing. As soon as you’ve framed the picture they’re somewhere else. They're busy, as the saying goes. But bees aren’t the only insects. In fact, sometimes the insects are so small that I discover them only when I’m cropping the final photograph. The flowers in these photographs are both white, but they also have tiny insects, one brown and one green, small enough to go unnoticed.


White, of course, is a beautiful color for flowers. I have a bunch of white alstroemeria on my desk as I type this. I buy what they have, but I’m always pleased to find a fresh bunch of white when the time comes. Of course, alstroemeria only have a background of white with complicated adornments. These flowers are white through and through. Except for the bugs, which add the perfect compliment.