Something exciting. This is a phasmid, a stick bug as it is more commonly known. This one is blending, or almost blending, with a step on the porch. A deliveryman stopped and said, “There’s something really weird here.” He’d never seen anything like it, a phrase I’ve used many times this year. It looked almost like an insect. Of course, I can’t remember the last time I saw one either, but that’s sort of the point. They look like sticks and sticks are just sticks. So when I say I haven’t seen one, it’s also possible that I’ve seen lots of them, but I just didn’t notice. I think we’ve all wanted to be sticks now and then. We’ve wanted to avoid someone and pretended for a split second to be a stick until the jig was up and reality returned. According to Wikipedia it might have camouflaged itself by mimicking the color of the concrete and, of course, it’s twice as big because of the shadow. If you read the article, the chances are that by the time you see one yourself, and not just a photograph of one, you will have completely forgotten everything you read. When the deliveryman said it looked like a stick and I said, “It’s a stick bug,” he looked at me like I was making it up. Do I really seem capable of that?