Unless you double click on these, you will probably not see the underlying stickiness. These flowers have a don’t touch quality about them that must be attractive, if not to insects, then to some insects. From a distance they look like normal flowers, but up close they look… to me they look less inviting.


I snapped these pictures because the flowers were bright and colorful. It was only later that I cropped them and looked more carefully. The tiny camera in my pocket is a miracle device that allows me to see things that are no longer there. Henry Miller said something to the effect that he never used a camera, he used his memory, and with his memory the world he saw changed every day. There’s truth in that. But with a camera I now see, and continue to see, what I never saw. I see what was there to be seen, but was never noticed.