I’ve wondered what to say about these photographs for quite some time. They are both examples of quite striking blooms, and they exist, or existed no more than two feet from each other. There are only inches between their outstretched branches, and one wonders if they won’t grow together before long. Both blooms, to my mind, are absolutely unique. I can’t begin to explain how they work, if those are leaves or petals around the one, or if a bloom can be a flower without having petals. Anyway, since I had no answer to any of these questions, I decided the real story must be the person who put them together.


It was obviously no accident. Or, at the very least, it was a very fortuitous accident. The plants are perfectly placed on a short uphill slope, just to the right of the porch. The rest of the yard is very well maintained. I use this yard as a place to slow down and rest. To notice what’s going on with the other plants. There’s even a small stream of dark colored creek rocks winding down the hill. I used it to walk up the hill when no one was looking to take these pictures.