Time to take a deep breath. There is nothing happier than a bunch of geraniums. There are more spectacular flowers, of course, but nothing that warms the heart quite like a geranium. I have felt that since I was a child. I wonder if it's their clustering, their casualness or their inherent imperfection. Not every geranium, but most geraniums, say something, have always said something that draws me to them.


These flowers are about one block away from each other. Each doing its special thing. Reddish and purplish, each on a dark green base. It’s hard for me to pass them without my heart being moved. I almost always stop to rest where I find geraniums. I try unsuccessfully to figure out what attracts me to them, or them to me. I doubt that I’m of any special importance to geraniums, but who knows the heart or how it works? There are so many questions, but also so many beautiful geraniums.