In January I wrote something in First Signs of Weakness that predicted the death of a weed that had grown too suddenly and far too large. It was taller than the fence. It started to turn brown, but that must have been something temporary like a cold. There are now five of them showing the same growth cycle in a staggered row. They are starting to look like trees.

I have tried to ignore them. But today I caught a flash of color and felt like I did when I first noticed a Nasturtium Flower and thought why on earth would nasturtiums need flowers? Well, the gigantic weed has occasional flowers not on the surface, but almost hidden inside. I hesitate to call them beautiful, though they do have a lovely color, because they associate themselves with something almost hideous. But if you see just the flower and ignore all the rest, I suppose they might be rather good looking.

I don’t have much more to say. I’m hoping the gardener will work up the courage to chop these down and leave me with a vague memory of large weeds, so that passing this area becomes more comfortable, more relaxing. But for the record, here’s the flower.