It may or may not be appropriate that today is also April Fools’ Day. But there is a long tradition of teaching fools that is more esoteric than exoteric. Michael Frost, an Australian “missiologist”, has published what looks to be a wonderful read: Jesus the Fool: The Mission of the Unconventional Christ.
What do I mean by saying Jesus was a fool? There are two levels of meaning. The first is that by this world’s standards of success, prestige, and influence, Jesus can be considered a failure, a misguided (though commendable) fool. The second level is the more provocative. It suggests that Jesus actually played the fool in order to enhance his ministry. I think both are true.
It seems a lot more promising than most of the April Fools’ jokes one is likely to encounter. I’ve only read as much as you have, but I think I like it.