This flower is only a bit larger than my thumb. It’s part of a hedge hanging over a fence toward the sidewalk. I was going to say hundreds, but I suspect it has thousands of such blooms, and not one of them perfect. It’s the kind of thing that closeness rewards. I know almost nothing about flower anatomy, beyond what I learned in junior high school. Pistil, stamen, petal, ovary. But I think the mystery of flowers is more important than their botany. Yes, flowers have a sex life, and that’s important up to a point. Our brain requires that. But our heart, if we allow it to, feels the tug and pull of the flower’s… What shall we say, spiritual dimension? The brain and the heart are not enemies, but they live together with difficulty. The brain rejects the spiritual, and the heart holds a hand against the brain. But rational and irrational are not opposites.