Last week in Rugged and Somewhat Dangerous I began with, “This is the only true cactus on my walk.” And, in fact, it was the only one visible. But since the gardeners cleared out the street side corner of the church property, it seems that there were cactuses I walked past day in and day out without ever noticing. In the background you can see more of the sort I already posted, but in the foreground is something I’ve never seen before. You’d have to be very careful pulling this one up. It seems to “trail” along the ground and shoot up stems about one foot long, and has very healthy needles. It’s not the sort of plant you would jump over, but one you would walk carefully around. It seems very happy where it is. And I’ll bet that with more light and less competition it will be much larger next year.