I got these from an outdoor florist in San Luis Obispo for Laura Garcia, my Phlebotomist, because the doctor left a note asking that she take my blood after lunch, but before transporting the samples to the lab. Laura is the most cheerful person I have ever known, though she has gone through difficult times. You have to squeeze that information out of her. Part of her job is to be cheerful and distract people from blood and needles, and she does that remarkably well. So I walked up to the florist and back during lunch. I told her to tell her husband that someone at work loves her, if she took them home. “But don’t be too specific,” I added. How can you not love someone who remembers your name and smiles to distract you from the indignity of needles and asks you sweetly for a sample of urine?