This flower reminds me of a crinkly handmade Veterans Day flower, except for the color, which for Veterans Day would be red. I understand they are still wildly popular in the UK, but I distinctly remember them on everyones' lapel when I was young. My father wore one to show that he was a good citizen, even if that was pushing it a bit. You gave money to a veterans organization and they pinned a flower on your lapel. A kind of racket, like Girl Scout Cookies, which I buy every year. One of the mothers told me that the little girls outsell the older girls many times over. "Men walking into the market…" (She paused and gave me a sly look. I was holding three boxes of cookies.) "…lack the power to say no." But it's all for a good cause, I tell myself. Girl Scouts and Veterans. I’m a veteran. I appreciate the benefits I receive.

We still have I Voted lapel stickers and lots of American flag pins, but beyond that, unless it’s merely a local phenomenon, I think the trend of wearing something to show that you gave or contributed or participated has long since passed.

But I still thought immediately of lapel flowers or boutonnières when I saw this. I think it was the irregularity that struck me. In checking the spelling of boutonnière, I came across the article What’s That Flower on Blair’s Lapel? The article ends with something that made me think someone else has seen this flower, or something close.
The red poppies are so ubiquitous in Great Britain that they've even inspired a counter-commemoration; the Peace Pledge Union distributes white poppies ‘as an alternative symbol of peace and a challenge to militaristic values.’
The Peace Pledge slogan is NO MORE WAR. And that, I think, like little girls and Girl Scout Cookies is something we should all be in favor of.