first_serigraph

My first serigraph. I was sixteen or seventeen when I did this. Across the street from my best friend's home in San Pedro were two women who lived together. They were probably in their early thirties, though at that age they might have seemed old at twenty. One was an artist and former nun who had studied under Sister Mary Corita. I knew about Sister Corita because my family owned a small serigraph she did on the subject of Tobias. David Davis, our interior decorator, purchased it sometime in the late 1950s. He had it framed to precisely complement an arrangement of pictures in the living room. He told us all about her. He was a Catholic and met Sister Corita while studying design at UCLA. So, my first knowledge of Sister Mary Corita, later Corita Kent, the quiet spokesperson for the 60's came from David Davis of Kurt Wagner Interiors.

The artist half of the couple taught me the rudiments of the process, allowing me now and then to assist her as she worked. I hung things up to dry and handed her the next appro­priate sheet. It was a delightful combination of fun and purpose­fulness for me. Later, she gave me time and materials to myself, the first results of which you now witness. The other half made tea and told stories. She talked about poetry and philosophy, comparative religion, and the history of the trinkets that filled their tiny home. What I wouldn't sometimes give to be a happily adjusted lesbian. They were wonderful company. There were no latent sexual vibes, as I might have describe it then. It meant I could enjoy them as women without having to worry about being in the company of women. They were the most people people I knew at the time. Fascinating people.

The snows of yesteryear.